Send us an email
The Sunbury Village Green (1972)
The Sunbury Village Green was created when Stawell Street was closed to traffic for the Sunbury (Architects) Convention in 1972. That section of the street was never reopened. Stawell Street originally provided a link between the early settlement of Sunbury and the commercial precinct that blossomed with the opening of the railway in 1859.
The area includes original churches, St. Mary’s (1867) and St. Andrew’s (1870), also the old Mechanics Institute (1885) – now known as the Memorial Hall, the War Memorial, the Starkie Fountain Memorial and the Sunbury Gun (1864) which belonged to the Rupertswood Battery.